Tuesday, January 5, 2010

“Hi there! My name is Jess Brady and I’m calling from the CBC…” For real?!

Last night before I went to bed I made sure I did one very important thing – I set my alarm.

And I made sure it would be loud and annoying enough to wake me so I’d get up and be ready for my first day as a shiny happy intern at CBC.

And the plan worked! I got to the station right on time after a very brisk walk in the balmy -28° morning air. No tardiness for this girl anymore!

Once I was in the toasty warm station things moved pretty fast. I was introduced to almost everyone in the newsroom and got a tour of the building. I got my own desk and then it was off to the morning story meeting.

It was a bit of a slow news day, but it was neat to see a professional pitch session.

Afterwards I picked up my Marantz recorder (not at all like the ones at school – I was shocked to see a very large black box with a strap on it lol) and then I started looking for stories to potentially pitch. I didn’t have any assignments for the day, but I wanted to make myself useful.

After running through a few ideas (“Hey Russ, are cougars a problem in this neck of the woods?” = story on a cougar attack thwarted by a family dog, “What do you think of this as a kicker? 1937 Canadian penny sells for $402,500 at auction in New York!”) I eventually found a story that was really relevant locally (H1N1 vaccine surpluses in Nunavut and the Yukon). I ran it past one of the reporters and he gave me some contact information for a source.

And then it was off to the races!

A little while later I was on the phone doing my first interview as a CBC intern and it was pretty cool! I ended up being able to write two versions of the story: a short version with one audio clip and a longer wrap style piece that I get to record myself. I’m pretty chuffed :)

I’m tweaking the writing a bit tonight so the stories are ready first thing in the morning. Hopefully they like my work! I feel a bit rusty and out of practice to be honest, but I just need to get back in the saddle I guess lol.

Anyway, that’s pretty much what my first day was like! I got to meet some more awesome people that I’ll be working with for the next month and got my feet wet too.

All in all, day one was a success.

That being said, I need to go and make myself some dinner that will hopefully be a success haha.

Hope everyone’s doing well out there!


Jess

6 comments:

  1. Still reading here Jess. Any chance of uploading any pics you've taken? Scenery sounds stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim!
    Still working on the pictures, should be up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess!! Happy belated birthday and Happy New Year! Your trip so far sounds amazing... funny how those angels show up when you need them the most :)
    The CBC in Whitehorse will never be the same! Maybe they'll let you write and tell your own story "Culture Shock... yes, longjohns can be sexy"!
    Best of luck to you - can't wait to read more of your adventure!
    Laurie Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie, now you're in the Big Time!!!! WOW good for you!!! Josie and I are wishing you the best, your future looks soooooo bright!!!

    Missing you here, keep warm and take alot of pics!!!!

    See you soon

    Ted & Josie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jess;

    Sounds like this adventure was made for you. I know you'll do really well at CBC and have a wonderful experience.

    Happy belated birthday!

    Keep up these blogs. The writing is wonderful and I can't wait to read the next one.

    Lots of love and encouragement,

    Mary and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are fitting right in at the good ol CBC! I hope your piece came together nicely... and we should do some recipe sharing now that you`re on your own!

    ReplyDelete